Tennessee Student Leadership Council Application
The Tennessee Student Leadership Council is a youth forum that works to further the mission of SADD. Through participation in the TN SLC, selected students grow and strengthen their leadership skills and gain training and leadership opportunities. Members are dedicated to peer programming and youth health and safety. They have many accomplishments within their schools and communities to further SADD’s mission.
Applications are due no later than October 2nd, 2020.
Student Leadership members:
- Complete individual projects that advance the strategic vision of the organization.
- Speak publicly to the media, partners and at events and other functions on issues central to SADD’s mission.
- Serve as a role model for SADD students, setting a positive example of a responsible attitude, overall behavior and making choices appropriate to that of a student leader.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Participate in mandatory monthly group conference calls to discuss projects in progress, current events, SADD policies, and proposed campaigns and activities.
- Participate in mandatory monthly one-on-one check in calls to discuss progress on individual projects.
- Develop and disseminate a teen driver safety contest in conjunction with SADD’s partners at The National Road Safety Foundation.
- Within ability, represent SADD at conferences, meetings and public events such as health and safety fairs.
- If comfortable, speak with members of the press or public on questions related to SADD’s mission as requested and approved by SADD.
- Assist in campaign and outreach development and implementation.
How to Apply
The Student Leadership Council consists of up to 10 students and membership is highly competitive. Each student must meet the eligibility requirements listed below.
- Applicants must be a current high school sophomore or junior in high school.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing (no lower than a C average overall) and agree to maintain that good standing throughout their term of office.
- Applicants must be active SADD members in a registered SADD chapter.
- Applicants must be prepared to meet all of the obligations detailed in the Roles and Responsibilities.
- Applicants must have a letter of recommendation from their chapter advisor.
Criteria for Selection
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Submit a completed online application by October 2nd, 2020 at 5:00 PM EST.
- Be a current high school sophomore or junior in high school and in good academic standing.
- Be a positive role model of the “No Use” lifestyle, including alcohol, marijuana and other drugs.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to SADD’s mission.
- Be proficient and willing to use social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter.
- Be willing and able to speak publicly about SADD.
- Exhibit leadership qualities within your SADD chapter.
- Be able to work collaboratively with all types of people.
REVIEW AND SELECTION
All completed applications for the SLC are reviewed by the State Coordinator.
Top applicants will be expected to complete a twenty-minute phone interview, facilitated by the State Coordinaor.
Please review the checklist below prior to beginning to complete the online application to ensure you have all required items. Applications must be received on or before October 2nd, 2020. All applications will be submitted through the online application found below.
Each complete application must include the following items. Failure to include any piece of the application will result in disqualification of the applicant. Additional materials will not be reviewed. Submissions must be electronic.
- Application form
- Resume to include activities & accomplishments
- Student questionnaire
- Letters of recommendation (choose only two)
- SADD Advisor – REQUIRED
- School Representative (principal, guidance counselor, teacher, etc.)
- Community Representative
- Employer/Professional affiliation
- Religious affiliation
- Signed Contract for Life (download and print, sign and scan, then upload into application)
- Verification form
For additional information, please contact Gavin Gill firstname.lastname@example.org.