Passport to Safe Driving Toolkit - Managing the Merge
Managing the merge can be a tricky task, but following the tips below can help you learn to do so safely!
- Adjust your speed to match the flow of traffic before entering the roadway.
- Yield to drivers on the freeway.
- Find a 3 to 4-second gap in traffic.
- Check for cars around your vehicle before entering a lane.
- Use your turn signals early.
- Wait for the solid line to end before merging.
- Cross one lane of traffic at a time.
- Be prepared for your exit, maneuver into the far-right lane as you approach it.
- Keep up with the speed of traffic until you exit.
- If you must pass a vehicle, pass on the left and return to your lane once the vehicle is visible in your rearview mirror.
- #DrivingSkills101 Manage the Merge Winning PSA
Listen to the podcast below for more great tips!