2020 Driving Skills 101 Challenge
October 21, 2019 - January 31, 2020
Calling all teen drivers: this contest is for YOU! SADD, in partnership with the National Road Safety Foundation (NRSF), want to hear how you Manage the Merge. You may be wondering, what can I do? The answer is easy. Read the directions below, create your video, and send in your entry!
Merging into moving traffic can be scary and intimidating. We want to hear how you successfully navigate this driving challenge. To participate in #DrivingSkills101, submit a video telling us your idea for a PSA on how to Manage the Merge. This is a simple video illustrating the obstacles that you encounter while trying to merge into traffic and how you handle these situations.
HOW TO ENTER
- Create a 2-minute or less video telling us your ideas for a PSA on Managing the Merge. NOTE: Your video is NOT the actual PSA, just your ideas.
- Upload your video to YouTube and complete the online application found here, https://forms.gle/qQ1MMaUh338S9kso8. Applications received without the video will be disqualified.
ELIGIBILITY AND RULES
- SADD does not permit distracted driving, please do not record your video submission in a moving vehicle.
- High School students ages 14-19 are eligible to participate.
- You and/or everyone on your team must be registered SADD members in the SADD Portal.
- All submissions must be videos.
- More than one team or individual may apply from a school, but a student may only be on one team or submit one individual entry.
- All entries must be original, youth-created, and content-appropriate.
- You must submit the online entry form along with the Youtube link to your video to be entered to win. All winners’ submissions will be recognized at the 2020 SADD National Conference in St. Louis, Missouri.
NOTE: NRSF AND SADD will not be responsible for any technical, computer, network, typographical, human or other error, malfunction, or problem in connection with the contest.
- One lucky chapter will win an additional $2,500 and the opportunity to have your PSA ideas professionally produced by an Emmy-winning producer and broadcast on over 150 TV stations nationwide.
- The top ten chapter finalists will each win $250.
A panel of SADD and NRSF representatives will judge the entries. Videos will be judges solely on your idea and enthusiasm, not the video quality. The winner will be chosen from the Top Ten submissions.
VIDEO SUBMISSION TIPS
- Have a quiet place to tape the video without distractions.
- Speak slowly and clearly on the video.
- Record your video with your camera horizontal, not upright.
- Review your video before submitting it to make sure it works.
Here are some additional questions to answer when thinking about your idea.
- Who is your target audience?
- How do you plan to get your school and community involved in your PSA?
- How do you plan on sharing this PSA with your school and community?
- Why is this contest important to you?
- How do you plan on getting your message across?
Here are 10 ways to create safer merging from our friends at State Farm:
- Adjust your speed to match the flow of traffic before entering the roadway.
- Yield to drivers on the freeway, but avoid stopping unless absolutely necessary.
- Find a 3 to 4-second gap in traffic to merge.
- Check for cars around your vehicle before entering a lane, and remember to check your blind spot.
- Use your turn signals early, a recommended 100 to 300 feet before merging or changing lanes.
- Wait for the solid line to end before merging. A solid line indicates that lane changes are prohibited.
- Cross one lane of traffic at a time.
- Be prepared for your exit, and maneuver into the far-right lane as you approach it.
- In general, keep up with the speed of traffic until you exit.
- If you must pass a vehicle, pass on the left and return to your lane once the vehicle is visible in your rearview mirror. Increase this distance when passing larger vehicles. If you're driving a commercial vehicle, be sure to check your side mirrors and blind-spot mirrors as some commercial vehicles don't have a rearview mirror.
Click the image below to download the #DrivingSkills101 Challenge information flyer.
Many thanks to our friends at the National Road Safety Foundation for sponsoring this contest!