Stay Awake! Stay Alive! PSA #Challenge
Presented by New York SADD and the NYS Governor's Traffic Safety Committee
Open in January 2021
Create a Public Service Announcement (PSA) PSA raising awareness on the topic of drowsy driving. This can be made from the perspective of the drowsy driver, passengers, another driver, or how to recognize a drowsy driver on the road. The video should encourage folks to make safe choices before getting in the car and while on the road, and/or about being a proactive passenger. The video should be exactly twenty-five (:25) seconds in length and must meet the Entry Criteria listed in the full Rules & Terms (see document linked below).
Challenge officially opens: January 2021
Challenge entry form will appear here when challenge opens.
*Challenge is not officially open until January 2021, however, students may begin working on their PSAs at any time they choose and submit after contest opens.
The “Stay Awake! Stay Alive!” PSA Challenge is open to ALL students at the State University of New York (SUNY) at Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, Cortland, Nassau, Oneonta, Stony Brook, Suffolk, & Ulster.
First Place Selection: One (1) first-place selection will receive a $2,000 contract award, and their video will be submitted by NY SADD to professionally re-produce for broadcast-quality on various platforms.
Second Place Selection (2nd runner up): One (1) second-place selection will receive a $1,500 contract award for the same services.
Third Place Selection (3rd runner up): One (1) third-place selection will receive a $500 contract award for the same services.
The PSA goal is to develop a message that will raise awareness and promote positive behavior change on the preventable issue of Drowsy Driving, and potentially save lives.
Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
1. Ability to capture the attention of others.
2. Persuade others to alter driving habits.
3. Your film must resonate with all ages and move them to action.
4. Clarity of message: It must be understandable and well-structured.
5. Creative expression: Put your personal stamp on it.
6. Video should be of good production quality (clear and audible).
7. Students may enter individually and can work with as a team.
For a full list of rules & guidelines, please read this document in its entirety.
Challenge officially opens*: January 2021
The challenge entry form will appear here when the challenge opens.
*Challenge is not officially open until January 2021, however, students may begin working on their PSAs at any time they choose and submit after the contest opens.
• For examples & past winners please see The National Road Safety Foundation’s site.
• For research and background, see Stony Brook University’s Drowsy Driving Prevention Program.
• For educational/programming purposes see Stony Brook University’s Drowsy Driving Prevention Curriculum.
• Visit Stony Brook University’s project on Drowsy Driving.
• If the video includes any facts and statistics, those facts and/or statistics must be obtained from NHTSA, ITSMR, or GHSA.
• For additional materials on this Challenge, please see Drive here. Includes:
o Shareable Challenge Flyer
o Shareable Challenge Social Graphics
o Challenge Brochure
o Challenge Brochure in Spanish
o Challenge Full Rules & Terms
o Image Release Form (must be completed before entry accepted)