IMPAIRED DRIVING (Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol and/or Drugs)
WHAT YOU CAN DO
- First and foremost: don’t drink or use drugs. It’s against the law.
- Work in your community to ensure that alcohol purchasing age laws are enforced.
- If your friend is drunk or drug-impaired, don’t let your friend drive.
- Suggest that you or a sober friend drive your alcohol-impaired (or drug-impaired) friend home. Your friend’s car can be picked up at another time.
- Offer to have your impaired friend stay overnight in your home. This may sound inconvenient, but you could be saving your friend’s life or someone else’s.
- Have your friend taken home in a taxi. Pay for the ride yourself. It’s hard to object to a free ride.
- Get help for your friend. Beware of enabling his behavior by regularly covering for him
Back to top
Back to Issues page