Know the early warning signs that you're in a dating situation or relationship that could have the potential to become violent.
- Your boyfriend or girlfriend pressures you, soon after you begin dating, to make the relationship very serious and to have sex.
- Your boyfriend or girlfriend becomes extremely jealous and possessive and thinks these destructive displays of emotion are signs of love.
- Your boyfriend or girlfriend tries to control you and to forcefully make all decisions for both of you, refusing to take your views or desires seriously. He/she may also try to keep you from spending time with close friends or family (e.g., by saying your close friend or family member isn't good for you, or accusing you of caring more about your friends or family).
- Your boyfriend or girlfriend verbally and emotionally abuses you by yelling or swearing at you, manipulating you, spreading false and degrading rumors about you, and/or trying to make you feel guilty.
- Your boyfriend or girlfriend drinks too much or uses drugs and then later blames the alcohol and drugs for his/her behavior.
- Your boyfriend or girlfriend threatens physical violence.
- Your boyfriend or girlfriend has abused a previous boyfriend
or girlfriend or accepts and defends the use of violence
Back to Top
Back to Issues page